COOKING WITH COMMON AFRICAN FORGOTTEN SPICES AND SEASONINGS

Most people nowadays both young and old are so much in westernization that everything they use is from the western world including the food they eat and the spices and seasonings that they use to prepare the food. Most of us use over processed prices and seasonings which bring severe side effects like stroke, diabetes, cancer and other illnesses.

African has been blessed with a great deal of plants and trees which have healing benefits and can also be used for food I would like to take a few minutes of your time to talk about a few progressively  and at a pace that will allow us to experiment with the little we have learnt.
 First, I would like to talk about a common plant known as Basil but locally known as akokomm3sa.This shrub can grow up to about 30cm to 60cm.In India, this plant also known as Holy basil or Tulsi is worshiped by  the Hindus as an incarnation of one of their numerous gods. It is also called the Incomparable one and Mother of medicine of nature so this should tell us the important of this common shrub. Basil is widely available in Ghana and I have a few memories of the times when my mum sent us to pluck some for her to use to season her chicken. That’s what most people use it for hence the name akokomm3sa, but this herb has a wide range of healing benefits. It is a great aide for bursting stress, healing arthritis, rheumatism, memory booster cough soothing, and can be used as a facial mask to get a clear and smooth skin. This herb is one of the Indian’s beauty secret. Maybe I will tell you about how to use it in your beauty regimes sometimes but today, we are on the culinary aspect of this wonderful herb. In addition basil has been shown to provide protection against unwanted bacterial growth, contains nutrients essential for cardiovascular heath, reduces free radicals in the body and a very good source of magnesium.

These are just a few of the numerous health benefits of this noble plant. I have some in my garden even though, I did not plant it but I take good care of it because I think God himself blessed me with it so that I can experience its healing properties so if you are fortunate to come across one , then you can also water it morning and evening especially in the dry season. You can either get the fresh one in the market or some dry ones in a spice or health food shop. I want to share a few of my tried and tested recipes with you guys
*Combine it with some ginger, garlic and onions to season your chicken, meat, etc. but remember that cooking destroys its lovely aroma so you can add it as a last ingredient.
*You can also blend basil, olive oil, onion and some garlic and use it in your soups and stews.
*You can also a taste of Italy by combining chopped basil and garlic to make Pesto to use it in your Salads and Cole slaws. 
*In fact you can use this herb as a seasoning in most of your cooking but remember to buy organic or fresh basil to enjoy its numerous healing properties. 
*You have to store the fresh ones wrapped in a damp paper towel in the fridge or store the dried ones in an airtight glass jar for six months. I know you are eager to try these recipes and improve your health so I will leave you here. 
*You can also tell me about your experiences or share some recipes with me cos I love to cook. 
So bye now till we meet again to talk about another powerful spice………………………………………………………………My favourite Ginger

StoryBy:Kezia Buamah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does he have a private Jet? See Top 10 facts about the Pastor Kumuyi you did not know (Photos)

Exclusive 18+ Photos Afia Schwarzenegger caught cheating

My lesbian story - Yvonne Nelson