Exclusive interview with Daniel Adongo

Former Kenyan National junior team rugby player Daniel Adongo joined National Football League (NFL) side Indianapolis Colts late last year.
The linebacker debuted in the team’s match against Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday 8 December 2013 and has played one more game since then.
Adongo is currently holidaying in the country (Kenya) during the NFL off season. He says everything has been going on well at Colts and he’s now working on performing better once the league resumes.
“I have enjoyed every bit of it and don’t regret making the switch from rugby to American Football. I knew nothing about American Football when I initially joined Colts but I have learnt so much within the short time thanks to my team mates and coaches,” Adongo said.
Adongo was scouted while playing for Strathmore School in the 2006 edition of the Safaricom Sevens and joined Natal Sharks Academy in South Africa the following year. Following that he played for several rugby outfits in South Africa, including the Blue Bulls and the Kings.
A Hong Kong based rugby agent, Johnny Gbenda-Charles talked to Indiana Colts about the possibility of signing Adongo up and after watching his videos, the club contacted him and he agreed to move to America after exchanging a few emails.
“I did not know what to expect back then but accepted the challenge. I know I could transfer most of the skills I learnt in rugby into the game as I continued learning the trade and so far it has worked just fine,”Adongo said,
“It’s a huge challenge but with all the established players I’m learning the ropes and I believe I will become a good linebacker in due time,”
“I just have to keep working harder and harder and learn as much as I can,” he added.
The 24 year old lights up when he speaks about his debut, against the Cincinnati Bengals. “I was nervous but settled in well when I got into the match. Once I figured out that I had been put in the team, I vowed to give it my best shot, I think I put in a relatively good performance but there’s still a lot I have to learn and improve on and I will not rest until I become good in the game,” he says,
The Colts intend to convert him (Adongo) into a speedy linebacker and he’s optimistic it will work out well. “I have always been speedy in rugby and powerful and if I can maintain that, I know I will be a successful American Football player. “I just have to keep on working hard and constantly keep my eyes on the prize,” he added.
Adongo has advice to upcoming Kenyan sportsmen. “If you love what you are doing, never give up. Your time will come, just trust in God and work hard towards your goal every single day,” he concludes.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Does he have a private Jet? See Top 10 facts about the Pastor Kumuyi you did not know (Photos)

Exclusive 18+ Photos Afia Schwarzenegger caught cheating

My lesbian story - Yvonne Nelson